1.22.2010

jonesing.

My flight arrived at Salt Lake City International Airport last night around 8:00 PM, Mountain Time.  Feeling the normal touch down blahs of a days worth of airports, layovers and airline food (or lack thereof), I wanted water and sleep.  And not much else.


I awoke around 5:30 in the morning, wide awake and wondering what to do with myself since I didn't have diapers to change, bottles to make or breakfasts to fix in the toaster.  I should've been out the door for a run but my head and stomach still seemed undecided as to how cooperative they planned to be.


I splurged by taking a bath and reading a book.  Bliss.


Then I treated myself to a glorious FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST.  In other words, I drank some flavorless coffee and ate a dry bagel.  By then it was off to the Winter Market Outdoor Retailer show being held in downtown Salt Lake at the Salt Palace.


I can vaguely remember how wide-eyed I was the first time I walked through the doors and took in the spectacle that is OR.  Vaguely.  At this point, some of the polish has worn off and the whole affair looks an awful lot like work.  Still, a gear head at heart, I do enjoy seeing what's new or slated to be new 6 months down the line. As far as work is concerned, I'm there to make purchasing decisions on tents, backpacks, sleeping bags and other hiking and camping equipment.  As a runner, I can't keep my eyes off of the trail running shoes, racing snowshoes and performance wear.


With the caffeine kicking in and my body regaining its composure, my want to run increased as the day dragged on and, all the while, I knew that a run was simply not in the cards.  I knew I'd missed my opportunity and desperately wanted to recapture those early morning hours.


I'm back in the hotel room now, peeking out the window and seeing the Wasatch Range faintly outlined by the lights of the city below.  I'll not get up there on this trip but look forward to putting in some trail miles when I return in July.  The roads outside the hotel will have to do tomorrow morning and, with a little luck, some of the snow that's been falling at higher elevations will make its way down here.  Per the forecasters, it's more likely I'll be running in rain.


Either way, there'll be a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment